Prep time: 2-3 hours
Cook time: 2 hours
- 2 geese, plucked and cleaned
- Shredded cabbage slaw
- Green apples, thinly sliced
- Flour or corn tortillas
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 8 cups water
Dry Rub Seasonings:
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 cups cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Wash and clean geese and place in a large pot or pan. Mix water and kosher salt and pour over the geese making sure they are submerged in the brine. Cover and place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove geese from brine and wash under cold water. Set geese on a rack over a baking sheet. Let the geese air dry for 2-3 hours.
- Mix all dry rub seasonings together in a bowl. Using clean hands, rub the seasonings all over the exterior and interior of the birds.
- Heat a smoker to 250 degrees and use apple wood chips or apple bisquettes.
- Place geese on the middle rack and bake for 2 hours. Use a meat thermometer to check temperature of the thickest part of the birds. Continue smoking until meat registers 150-155 degrees. Remove from smoker and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Let rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour before slicing.
- To make cilantro, place all Cilantro Sauce ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. You may need to scrape down the sides.
- Serve sliced goose meat in a warm flour or corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, sliced green apples, shaved carrots and cilantro sauce.
For more recipes from Kristy Crabtree, visit: nevadafoodies.com